Thursday 2 May 2013

A Roar And Then Silence




When I was in my early teens, I was fortunate enough to be introduced to a group of people who went on to be some of the greatest friends anyone could ask for. As we got older we would have house parties at weekends and drink… too much… like most teenagers. I loved these guys. The next morning I’d get home to my parents' house, which was on a hill with the back garden spilling into the woods behind, still carrying the effects of the night before. It was only in the following evening (usually a Saturday) that I would start reflecting on the previous night. And I’d get the biggest feeling of loneliness that I’ve ever felt. To spend an incredible time with close friends and then be alone with only the sounds of the nature to keep me company. This was pre-mobile phones and internet so you could only contact each other through land line phones… which we hardly ever did.

I used to climb this tree that was at the end of the garden… just to get that feeling of being free and in open space… in the air. I think I was trying to combat the suffocating feeling of being alone indoors.

I miss those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment